12/14/2006

Drifting Away on Portage Bay




For heaven's sake my entries have been serious lately. Unfortunately, Lung Cancer isn't anything but serious; however, a houseboat's unmooring does not have to be taken as so. Yes, the other day, the same day I arrived home from my train journey home to Seattle from my visit home to my mama (with the flu), I went out for an errand, and when I returned I noticed that the house's position was all askew. In the windstorm (a record-breaking, history-making windstorm is due this evening, just a few hours from now) several of the ropes that tie our house to the dock were lashed putting us at risk of floating away. It might have been romantic had we run with it and voyaged all the way out to the sound. I would have liked to float beside the whales and the hundred herons I saw from the train. I would have liked to watch them from the couch, wrapped in a blanket sipping from a cuppa hot tea. But I'm glad we're here now, across from the university that I will kayak to in the spring, when the rain stops, although I realize that there is a growing possibility that it will not ever stop. I guess that fantasy of being inside your house while simultaneously being in the middle of the ocean is what spawned the creation of yachts and cruises and I hate those. Anyway, here are some photos of the diver who came to readjust the floats beneath us. I am sorry now that I did not take a picture of the house when it was loose. I admit that at the time I was a bit miffed.

No comments: