

Tonight the sky heaves rain from the clouds. It is a good, healthy east coast rainstorm. Homesick, my heart copies the sky, and I cry for my mother.
Two poems, both by Mary Oliver, that I read like maps, for tonight I am so very far away.
A Pretty Song
From the complications of loving you
I think there is no end or return.
No answer, coming out of it.
Which is the only way to love, isn't it?
This isn't a playground, this is
earth, our heaven, for a while.
Therefore I have given precedence
to all my sudden, sullen, dark moods
that hold you in the center of my world.
And I say to my body: grow thinner still.
And I say to my fingers, type me a pretty song.
And I say to my heart: rave on.
The Uses of Sorrow
(In my sleep I dreamed this poem)
Someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand
that this, too, was a gift.

2 comments:
miss jenny.
i was in singapore on the way back from vietnam, on the way back from visiting tarek. now i am home again, and in the libary.
thank you for your letter.
i am working on a reply.
i love you very much,
emma
xxx.
Post a Comment