It's been a long time since I've written anything here ... written anything, actually. Here is my latest foray into poetry, inspired by a struggling kindergartner I am tutoring. It is a draft, and, as usual, I would love feedback.
Prayer for Zyrae
Later in her life, Zyrae may not remember the particulars of the many afternoons we mingled, memorizing mumbled phonemes. She laughs now – loudly – when, laconically, her memory lapses and loses letters. Cute, but I am praying for a day when apples will beget clovers donning egrets fishing and gnus hovering impatiently over jasmine-kindled lakes, a day when memory does not neglect, but with onus, presides. This week, she is forgetting Q and R, skipping straight to the letter S, which she solders, in writing, to the number 5. Silly when she slips only because I believe in the day she will quaff novels and read recipes with quickness and regularity, and difficulty’s residue will be traceable only in the charming way she renders the word, “vowel," upside down "m" replaced with that finicky, sometimes-y. I am certain, also, that time will renegotiate this, and very soon, I think, C will be able to collect its identity so cats and kites won’t crash, but collaborate co-dependently only in carefree moments of déjà vous, and never in confusion. This will happen with luck. Right now, I can feel her brain working. Just yesterday she read the word “mat.” If she ever forgets me, I hope it is because her struggle to read is completely over.

No comments:
Post a Comment